Thursday, November 26, 2009

November 25, 2009 "Happing Thanksgiving"

This is my companion, the model. She always has to back me out and I looked back there and just had to smile. Look how cute she is. No, there are no boys writing her. You should--it's my same address. But seriously.

Turns out apple vinegar is not any more delicious than the other vinegars.

The Hot and Ready sign was up...free donuts! Reminded me of Bree...we used to do that all the time.

One year from today I will be home. November 24th. Weird, I know.



Hi everyone,

I pray that you each have a most fantastic Thanksgiving holiday. I love you all! Please don't send me sweets; I already have way too much.

I want to tell you about a man who has changed my life. So Sis Howe and I had just gotten on shift at the VC. Someone earlier had started the Joseph Smith movie for this man and we needed to go down and end it. We usually bear testimony and ask if they want a history tour or whatever. Well, we walk in and he is like bawling- for those who haven't seen the movie, do it. It's a tear-jerker. He stays and talks to us for probably another twenty minutes. Even though we would probably never see him again, he wanted to know all about our hobbies, our families, our interests. He, in turn, told us about how he'd had a rough divorce, lost his job and had hit rock bottom. He is still on his way up. I have never met someone so sincere. He just CARED. Sis Howe happened to mention that her fav food is breadsticks from Olive Garden. When he finally left, he said "Oh yeah, where is the closest Olive Garden?" and returned a few minutes later with breadsticks! I can't even express to you how much he inspired me. I want to be like that. Total strangers can become your new best friend in a few minutes.

Tracting story- woot woot! We felt prompted to knock this one house with a big bee-autiful eagle wood carving out front. Sis Howe has this amazing gift that gets us in doors...I dunno. I'm trying to figure it out. It never used to happen before and now it does all the days. So she lets us in and we teach about the restoration. This woman had tears in her eyes. It was so great! She felt it. I know she did. When we told her about the Book of Mormon, she ate it up. We asked her to just read the intro and then pray to know it's true and she goes "Oh, this is so short. I could probably read the whole thing." We're like "Yeah! Go for it!" And Sis Howe starts telling her about Lehi's family... I'm telling you. My companion is an angel.

We've been working with a part member family and the wife has now come twice to church lately! The husband came once. And we have a pizza party/Movie date night set up with them (Sis Howe will be my date, of course. I figure we'll probably sit by each other and ya know...) I am pumped! It's the first time the husband has set up an appointment. It's at a member's home and we're watching "Together Forever" to teach about temples.

My zone leader, Elder Swayt made me promise I would invite all of our investigators to be baptized as soon as possible. Oh. My. Word. I am terrified. I've never committed anyone for baptism before, and I haven't seen anyone else do it (in real life, only in practice). BUT if Heavenly Father is going to put two new missionaries together who have no idea what they are doing, then He is going to help us do this. I know He will. He has seriously been carrying us lately. We have almost all new people to teach in the last few weeks. Those who were not keeping commitments...adios.

Oh, and we taught Gospel Principles and it was a total flop. The Relief Society President in our ward is very professional, very ... I don't know- different from me? And she kept asking really hard questions like "Will you explain why women do not hold the priesthood?" Thank you. I love her and I appreciate her talents and the wonderful things she brings to the RS; we're just different.

Quotes from this week:

In a talk at Church, while reading about the Spirit World, a single adult in the ward said "Never-happy endingness". It's so true though. When we make wrong choices, we cannot be happy. It's a law God has to follow. Hmmm, food for thought or whatever

I'm taking this darling family on a history tour. At one point, you go inside a cabin and listen to journal entries of pioneers. To make it more interesting, there are flat screens that show video clips of the seasons changing. So this little 3 year old girl chuckles, sighs, rolls her eyes and says under her breath "Psh-talking windows". As if to say "they think theyr'e sooooooo clever, those windows". It was so stinking funny! I about died! 3 years old. It reminded me of Aunt Lisa's little Kate. Or something Zoe would say.

I feel like this is the longest email in the world and I still have not left you with a Spiritual thought :) Here you go. I like how you can really get to know Christ through the scriptures. The New Testament gives us a glimpse of what He was like while on earth. Check out Mark 8:12 and 23 just to see how gentle He is. I love it! He sighed deep in His soul. He cares about each of us so much. I have learned to rely on Him so much more than I possibly could have imagined. We deny ourselves so many blessings when we try to do things on our own. He lives. I know this. He is everything to me.

Lots of love,

sister roo adamson

No comments:

Post a Comment