Thursday, December 3, 2009

December 2, 2009 "My First Baptismal Challenge!"

Me with the Ward Missionaries -The Andrees- on Thanksgiving

Me with a man who had an original 1830 Book of Mormon -click on it to zoom in on the title page! So cool!

Woohoo! I feel so pumped. If you remember last week, my zone leader challenged me to invite ALL of our investigators to be baptized. We have a little pool of about 10 people we are working with. We dropped 2 and found another 2. Funny how that works. Anyway, up to this point, I had never asked anyone to be baptized. But we keep having these trainings lately about creating an environment, not just wishing the moment would arise.

We did it! We invited someone to be baptized. I don't even care that she said "I don't know" and that she would pray about. I did my job! The Spirit will do the rest.

Anyway, I had the spiritual highlight of my mission (so far) on Monday. Really, I think I should call it "The first of many spiritual highlights" So backing up a week or so. I may have written about this young woman last week...she let us right in before she knew who we were. She was visiting her aunt and lives in FL. We decided to try her aunt on Monday. But it was the same girl who answered! We had a team up with us, my favorite sister in the ward. It was amazing. Turns out, this cute girl was studying about "fasting" in the bible and thinking about our last visit when we knocked. She was planning to leave for the airport in an hour. She recognized that we were an answer to prayer. She is 18 and trying to figure out life. She is searching. She has been reading the Book of Mormon. We found her the nearest chapel to attend on Sunday when she goes back to FL. She talked about her grandmother who passed away. I was so so so happy to testify with absolute confidence that she will see her grandma again. I love teaching people about Heavenly Father's perfect Plan. She wanted to know everything! She took notes and was highlighting the verses we shared. I have never met anyone so ridiculously prepared for the message of the restored gospel. She wants to serve a mission! She asked for all of our phone numbers and addresses to keep in contact. She said we changed her life. The discussion, by the end, turned into "when you join the church", not if. There are no words to describe how I felt. Alma uses the phrase "that joy which is unspeakable and full of glory". That'll have to do. :)

I feel so blessed to be a VC sister, where I have the chance to call her from our referral center. I can keep in contact with her! I love that! I just have this feeling we will be friends forever. I love her so much.

What else happened this week? I bought a pair of schmancy boots. I know, I know. I feel like a rockstar. They're pretty great. funny story with that, though. It was last preparation day and we needed to get permission to go to the mall to look for boots. We had been giggling about it, because we have to get permission from these little elders who were born in 1990...Yeah, they're like 12. Sister Howe was mid laugh when they called us back. Instead of explaining anything about my boots, she just spits out "Elder, can we go to the mall? hee hee hee" Oh my gosh. It was hi-lar-ious! He made us promise no window shopping.

We have certain families the bishop wants us to focus on. The one picture I sent once with the old man with no teeth, with pizza on his mouth- he is not a member and his family is one of ours to teach. His wife has been less active for years and years. AND she has come to church for the last 3 weeks. I actually am doing some good out here. thanks, Heavenly Father. We planned a pizza party/date night with this family and our ward missionaries. They. hit. it. off. They're best friends now and were planning a camping trip for the spring. We had them watch a movie after we left to get to another appointment. I guess the four of them talked about it afterward and stayed up until 1 AM discussing eternal families and temples! I love it! They're like in their 60s, by the way. How cute is that?

We had a full proselyting day and I was on exchanges with a new sister (Sis Moody is training her). She has a lot of the same challenges I had when I first came out, so we bonded really well. We found a few new people to teach and tried to drop one woman who just will never make appointments and she turned it around and made an appointment for the first time! We're seeing her at the VC on Saturday.
And we're gonna (with lots and lots of help from Above) commit her for baptism. Wish me success!

We're singing a song in Samoan tonight, as a zone, for the stake presidency and our mission president and lots of other important people. We have been practicing at 6AM the last few mornings. It's actually been fun! "Tula I Mai a ... O mai a iSiona" I love it! I may just come home saying "Talofa" all the days. Who knows?

Ahh! It's just been a week of miracle after miracle. It's about time for the sisters in the Inde 4th ward. We have the assistants to the president in our ward and it's so difficult when they unknowingly steal all of the members we are trying to work with. They've had lots of baptisms lately and I just feel like it's about to go up for the sisters. And we're gonna do it in half the time (because of the VC schedule).

A gentle reminder, when you email me, please put your home address, so I can write back.

Man, I am so blessed to be here in Zion. When we sing "As Sisters in Zion", it's like...legit. Keep doing missionary work in your own way. It's making a difference in this crazy world. Thanks for your love, your prayers, your letters and emails. I will try to write everybody back!

Lots and lots and lots of L-O-V-E,

Sister Roo Adamson

No comments:

Post a Comment