Monday, January 11, 2010

January 11, 2010 "From Your Less-Active Missionary"

Snow in Inde, outside the stake center for zone conference.

Yes, I am getting fat out here. I haven't measured, but Sis F may or may not have grown an inch and a half since living with "the best baker in Miami county"= Sister Chandler

Parts of our zone: Elders Shepherd, Dodds, Bradshaw, Hayter and Zaugg and Sister Frandsen

Here is our buried car. I love my life. We had to borrow a shovel from the neighbor because the plastic bucket wasn't cutting it for Sister Frandsen. Then Pres C came up behind us with his tractor and saved the day.

Do you see the drifted snow? This is the Chandler's kitchen and the snow outside is like 4 feet deep. Awesome

This is to prove I actually am on a mission and don't just take silly pictures. This was right before the story last week about the house on Orange Street.


Hi fam and friends,

**Important!* The mission office can no longer forward our mail. Something about it being illegal. From now until Feb 1st (transfers are on Feb 4th, I think) please write me at this address, so I actually get them. If not, they will sit in Independence and I WILL NOT GET YOUR LETTERS OR PACKAGES UNTIL FEB 4TH: Sister Adamson (President Jim Chandler) 38513 Jingo Road
LaCygne, KS 66040
I bet Google can't even find that because it's in the middle of nowhere land.

Let me first explain the subject line. I heard that if you do not attend church for a month, you are considered less active. Well! From all the ice and then a flood from water lines breaking yesterday, I pretty much am the only missionary in the world who is not going to church. They have now canceled 3 weeks in a row!

Zone Conference was up in Independence, MO! It was the best! It was just what I needed. We had had a bummer week with 2 days where we were snowed in (Kansas isn't used to this much snow, so there is no budget for clearing the roads). It was amazing. All my old friends were there: the VC sisters and the senior couples from the mission office. I felt like a million bucks. And it was so much fun to show off my doll of a companion to everybody. Sis Frandsen is a social, bubbly lass. She was so excited to meet people. Also can I just add that we have the greatest district leader ever? He's from Orem. We have a lot of fun together with no weirdness.

One of the trainings was on how we need to give our whole hearts to Lord, be 10 yard missionaries.We watched a movie clip were this football player does the Death Crawl. Everyone in the room was bawling. Sister Frandsen and I both got the idea that to make it up to the Lord for our lost time when we were snowed in,we would give up some hours of our preparation day. We also fasted the next day. Oh my word. God is in charge, of that I can testify. Somehow, we taught 6 lessons on Saturday with lots of travel time in between. That is pretty much impossible out here because when you visit someone, they assume it's for 3 or 4 hours. But He blessed us with quick lessons and people who were kind to let us in out of the cold. OK, so I am starting to understand what windchill really means. It has been like -1 below F, but feeling like -15 below. It's fun! I seriously think something is wrong with me. I don't get as cold as most folks do.

Another thing I have learned about small towns: word travels fast. We had a bit of drama this week with some misunderstandings. Everyone knows everyone, so it got a little bit messy. Without providing details, I will just tell you that prayer and laughter can fix just about anything.

We had a neat thing happen this week: 2 young women we are teaching tested out the idea of flipping open your scriptures to a random page for an answer to prayer. Guess what the verse read?: "And they were all baptized". Boo-yah. We just heard that from their friends who are members of the branch, so we will ask them about it today or tomorrow. God has the greatest sense of humor.

Things are gettin' a move on in the Mound City Branch. Sis Frandsen and I feel like something really big is right around the corner. The average number of baptisms in the branch has been like 1 every few years or something. The Olathe stake (Olathe is pronounced oh-LAY-thuh) set a goal of 9 for our branch this year and Sis F and I are bound and determined to achieve it.

She is the best, Sister Frandsen. We stayed up the other night for like an hour, laughing about nothing. It made me miss my pals. I'm so grateful for a companion that I can tell anything and everything to.

Love you lots. I'm having fun, we're workin' hard. We are seeing success because with God nothing is impossible. He is real, He knows your name and if you let Him, He will guide you carefully along.

-Sister Adamson

No comments:

Post a Comment