Sunday, June 20, 2010

June 7, 2010 "O Siona, O Siona"

This is a lady in our ward. It had been SOAKING wet, just pouring down rain and we showed up to eat dinner at her house. She had little slippers all ready for us to snuggle up in. So cute.

"Putting on the Armor of God"




Hello people,

It was a fun week! Full of bratwurst, new investigators, "heart-attacking" and friends. Peace, love, unity. Zion. We're all about Zion, here in the New Jerusalem. :D

Yesterday, our ward held a big party called "Come Home Sunday", where each member is to invite a friend or a member who doesn't come very often. It was a great turn out! AND good food, which is a plus. Except I don't like chop suey. Gotta love those Polynesians. Our friend brought his daughter to church. She usually attends Church of Christ (temple lot). She is a hoot! I pretty much hung out with her the entire time. It was just so good. And this ward is wonderful about introducing us to their friends. We've had a few more of those this week. Lots of people to teach, no time. We plan to invite one member's boyfriend to be baptized tonight.

"Are we ready for the 2nd Coming of our Lord and Savior, Jesu..." - First Counselor, Bro Kent
(interrupting Sacrament Mtg) "YES!" - 3-year old Becca

I think she is. Until we become like children, we can't enter into the kingdom of God, right? they are teachable and trusting and so loving. There is much to be learned from toddlers.

My Spanish is improving. I still prefer speaking English to people who I know speak Spanish. I'm just nervous still. But I'm much more brave these days. Making much more mistakes, which is good because it means I'm talking. It's just hard when we have no Spanish investigators and the ward members are bilingual and nobody comes into the VC who needs my "skills". I just keep practicing!

I decided I wanted to work on having more sincere prayers, so I have been going down to the basement, so I can pray out loud (we call it "Trogdor Dungeon"). I was down there the other night, when I was attacked by "It's probably a murderer!", two innocent sisters and tennis rackets! They could see the light on and hear someone talking, so they came running down the stairs to investigate! They finally calmed down and joined me to talk about the stresses of the mission. Hilarious!

Here's a neat scripture-- Mosiah 2:24. It talks about how we are immediately blessed for following the Lord. I want to add my two bits to that. Yes, we are immediately blessed. Do we recognize it? Is it always the "sign" or answer we are looking for? No. But I know that it's worth it when we follow the commandments. I have seen SOOOO many poor examples of disobedience out here that I will forever be changed. It's just not worth it.

I took a young lady on tour yesterday while her recent convert friend had a bishop's interview. She is "atheist"...at 15 years old. We sat by the Christus statue and discussed how to know there is a God, how to know you are one of his daughters. It hurt my heart so much that she feels so alone. Her question of the soul is "If there is a God, why does he allow bad things to happen to good people?" I did my best to help her understand that it's part of life, sometimes it's a consequence of someone's poor use of agency, and it's to make us grow. She's a poor little caterpillar who wants to crawl out because "it's not worth it" to be a butterfly. I guess I'm guilty of feeling that way too. But I know that when we look back on our life and those dark, lonely times, we will see how it helped us to get where we are today. Perspective is so important. We learn from the past, live in the now and look to the future with hope. Sigh. I just want to help everyone [just like you said, Todd]. But all I can do is share my lil testimony that YES, God is there. He watches us go through those rough spots and cries. He wants to break us out of the cocoon, but He can see what we will be when we are beautiful and colorful and we can FLY! He is our Father. Literally the Father of our spirits. I'm just happy that I can say I know that, and don't just hope for it or think it or believe it.

Love you all and appreciate your luff and letters! I have the best friends and family imaginable. Keep reading the Book or Mormon! There are so many gold nuggets in there.

con mucho amor,
la hermana adamson

No comments:

Post a Comment