Monday, February 15, 2010

February 15, 2010 "Deer Heads and Blue Mounds"

Pronounced "Luh-Seen" if you are the rising generation, "Lay-Seen" if your family has lived her since the 1700s

We got serenaded by a banjo. For rils

Sister Chandler is helping us make chicken. Notice how short she would be without her wooden insert. She's so cute!

Not only was there a dead deer head in this tree, but also a dead possum in the grass. They may or may not be members of the Church

Who needs gargoyles or lions to greet your visitors when two extra stools will do? PS "stool" out here is actually referring to the appliance

Cookees Drive-in. With burgers and a 50s Juke Box to boot! We are eating what is called a Frito Pie wrap. Originally introduced to me by Bubba, it's chili, cheese and Frito chips in a tortilla. No, it's not even clse to Wolf Chili, but still super good

And it came to pass that with the Lord's help they were able to do all things, notwithstanding the pearl necklace and cardigan

Yes, their address says zero. Welcome to Kansas


Hi!

I have just come to adore Kansas. I am going to miss so many things! See pictures :) [such as the tornado drill that just went off and does every day at noon, up in LaCygne] I see why people move out here. It's just close enough to the city (an hour) that you still feel like you are a part of life. Also it doesn't smell bad like you might expect around so many cows.

It's been a terrific week full of lots of laughs. Also we had Zone Conference. Our zone is great! I love being the only sisters. There's less drama, comparison, tears and uptight-ness. Our elders are gems. I don't really know what to say about this week. We had a long and full Valem-Times. Church was stressful because the peolple we were hoping to come did not show up. That is always so disappointing, but we can't lose faith!

Some quotes from the week:

"We should start a petition to change the name from Blue Mound to Green Hill." -Karesa, our branch member friend

"My name used to be Bruce until I changed it to Sister" - Sister Hafen and yes, she is related to the general authority. They are, I think, first cousins twice removed?

"People move to Blue Mound to escape the bustling metropolis of LaCygne [said Luh-Seen]. Excuse me, LAY Seen." - Sister Hafen. BTW, it probably has a population of 800

"God answers every Knee-Mail" - plaque

"What is a miracle?" "Something only He could do" - profound words from a little girl whose last name is appropriately Wisdom

We got stuck in the mud this week. That has never happened to me. It was a hoot! I got out and started pushing. With the help of angels, I am sure, I somehow we got it out. The best part is that I was wearing my pearls and a pale yellow cardigan- typical sister missionary. Oh, the things we do for the Work.

I seriously am having a writer's block. I'm sorry. Thanks all of you who write me (April, we are in a fight). Keep sending pictures. It's the best!

Also, one of the families we are teaching has the most beautiful daughters. One of them gave us slap bracelets. Best day of my life. Also she ran to her room to go read the Book of Mormon as we were leaving. Ran. Can we get the members to be that excited, please?

My companion is so wonderful! You must understand that the trial of my mission has been making phone calls. It's the death of me. She found out that I enjoy giving massages, so we traded one difficult phone call for a neck massage. Who does that? She is Heaven sent.

OK, I have an assignment for all of you. Sister Hafen and I are struggling to understand how to apply the Atonement. We teach about it all the time and cannot seem to figure out how or if it's working in our lives. Please send me a note, a letter, an email of how you have come to see the Atonement working in your life. If anyone has suggestions of something to read or do to understand this more, I desperately need your help. I would benefit greatly from your testimonies. Thanks. I know the power is real. I know it's possible to be cleansed through the Holy Ghost. Jesus is the Christ. Together, I think, we can make things click. Thanks for all you do for me. Love you all!

Sister Sheresa Kay Adamson

1 comment:

  1. That drive-in looked awesome! How did you find that classic place?

    Do you have any other pictures of it, and a location?

    ReplyDelete