Tuesday, March 30, 2010

March 30, 2010 "It's me again"

Can you read the Graffiti? I laughed so hard! (it says "mexican")

El Centro


"The privilege of a lifetime is to be who you are." -Anonymous


I wanted to start this week with that quote because it has gotten me through a lot. Missionary work is just that- work. It's hard and it can be overwhelming. But I have come to know more than ever that I am me. I am a daughter of a King. I have been given exactly the talents and gifts to get me through my challenges. I can choose to be me. Before, "me" meant that one girl who played rugby, who hung out with or dated so-and-so, who can make people laugh, who loves to hike and loves the color green. Now, "me" means I do what my Heavenly Father wants me to do. I try my best to say His words. I smile because I want someone else to sense my love for them, not because I have always done that. I talk to people because my Savior, Jesus Christ would talk to them, not because I am bored or I need to feel fulfilled. This probably won't make sense to you, but I feel different today.

The language is a struggle, of course. I had my district leader give me a blessing for me to have the gift of tongues, but instead it turned into a blessing of comfort. I'm doing better. We are doing better.

It's such a culture shock to be in the city. I mean like "El Centro". Downtown. We be up in der mos' da day. I be da only white gurl fo' miles. But i's coo'. I ain' skurd. I laugh every week when I hear the sacrament prayer start with "We AKS dee..."

It seems I've hit a writer's block.

A few days ago, as we were driving down the street, Sister M said to stop the car. We got out and talked to a cute Hispanic lady. We got her info and visited her yesterday. She didn't seem very receptive. She kept arguing that it doesn't talk about Joseph Smith in the bible. Near the end, Sis M stopped and looked her right in the eye. "We lived with God before we came to Earth. We knew each other then. And I promised you I would come and find you to remind you about the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ." Whoa. It worked. She wants to meet with us again. I looked over at her daughter, who had walked in maybe like 3 minutes before. She had tears in her eyes and was staring intently at Sis M. It was amazing.

Funny quote from this week:

"Adamson...isn't that a famous gorrilla researcher?" - Sis B, ward member. Will someone look that up for me?

Well, I know this is the Lord's work. I know this is truly the church of Jesus Christ. Hope each of you have a great week. Don't forget about me. I like letters...

Love,
Hermana Roo

1 comment: