Sunday, July 25, 2010

July 19, 2010 "A United Household"

Hi everyone,

We had the most incredible experience this weekend watching our friend get baptized. It's been 12 years in the making- what patience her [member] husband has. I'm grateful for Bishop listening to the prompting that now is the time. She's been through a bunch of missionaries: my cute trainer, Sis Moody being one who taught her and saw her progress! I feel really blessed to have been able to watch her transformation. I can't wait to see them in the temple together! In her confirmation blessing, Bishop said she was now a "Mother in the House of Israel" and a "Mother of a United Household". I thought that was so profound. What an honor. What trust our Father in Heaven has given to women to fulfill that sacred role.

The baptism really got me thinking about the importance of families. And unity. And this whole "Zion" idea that I teach about every single day at the VC. We are placed into these little "units" to struggle together, to bear testimony to one another, to laugh and cry together. There is always something we can improve on to make more of a Zion feeling in our homes. I'm so grateful for my family. Thank you for teaching me right from wrong, and that I am a daughter of God. We taught YW yesterday and I could just feel God's love for them, as "soldiers in His army". I can't wait to be a mom.

Exchanges this week I was with two other sisters. We spent some time finding. We were checking up on some former investigators. Success! Yay! I actually love finding. It's teaching that I don't love. Kind of backwards from most missionaries, I think. Anyway, it felt good. We're going back to teach her in the next few days. I am just getting it more and more-that the whole purpose of life is LOVE. It's the foundation for everything. It's the motivator, the reward, the blessing that we have to live. Again, Sis Wathen has taught me that. By example.

Here's what I'm working on: Making small goals, then journaling about them. I'm excited. It will help me to feel less overwhelmed. Feel free to join me. :)

A woman in our ward was showing us pictures of her daughter's wedding. I feel like she is me. She is totally me. They call her their "eccentric one". I guess she is more of what I want to be. She wore dragonfly wings on the outside of her wedding dress for the reception. It was an outdoor barbecue. Is she not rad? So she lives in Logan and Sister Smith knows her and says she is way cool. I can't wait to hang out with her! Also she makes her own clothes.

In our PEC meeting on Sunday, a representative from the stake came in to show us the new LDS employment website. I felt like I was back in my multimedia classes! I got a little bit computer trunky. He was saying words I didn't realize I miss, like "hub" and "database". Oh my word. I am such a geek. It's an amazing website and they challenged everyone in the room (minus us, I guess) to fill out a profile and spend five hours on it this week. He said when missionaries go home, they give us a class lasting a few hours on job tips, resume advice etc. Then he said the people the Church gives the most time and energy toward, in this aspect, are 1. Stake presidents and bishops and 2. Returning Full-time missionaries. Then he said that the sacrifice involved in both of these callings is the reason behind that. Did that make sense? I felt pretty special. Great website, too.

My twin missionary out here, Sister Stanton told me about something that made me smile. There are two girls in her ward who are our friends. One gave a talk in sacrament. She said when she was struggling a few months ago with going to hair school and not feeling like she was getting it or making friends, that she came into the VC. That was the day we met. We went downstairs, watching a short video clip and just talked. In her talk she said "Sis Adamson challenged me to read the BoM everyday. And I have been. I have been waking up an hour earlier to get my scripture study in. And she's right. It fixed everything." I had no idea I even said that. I just remember how she cheered me up and taught me something that night. That is Zion. I love this job. And anyway, I was just paying forward from what BJ Vest taught me. I signed a self-made contract a few years ago that I would read my scriptures everyday for the rest of my life. And I have been. And he was right. It fixed everything.

I still have a few more minutes, so I figure I will give you a "Day in the Life of Hermana Adamson".

6:30- yoga or running

7 to 8- get ready (my new short hairstyle takes like five minutes. It's the best!)

8- study/eat some food. I've fallen in love lately with the Special K yogurt globulars cereal

8:30- get picked up for the VC

9- 3 take a bunch of people from on tour. Here are the typical types: #1.Traveling with a bus in groups of like 50. We split them up. They are my favorite, especially the youth groups. #2. UT Mormons, headed to Nauvoo. No time to hear my testimony. They gottta go! Can't stand those. They spend all this money to get out here and don't even appreciate the sacred ground they walk on. All they want to hear is when the meeting at Adam-Ondi-Ahman is, so they can be ready. Ugh. #3. On a business trip to Kansas City. Here to soak up the Spirit. "Yes, please take me through the whole Visitors' Center." These are usually amazing and these cute dads learn how they can create more of a Zion feeling in their homes. They often end the tour with tears in their eyes. #4. Summer sales boys. These are really weird for all of us. They are usually fairly good-looking, RMs. Some come in with heavy burdens on their shoulders, seeking spiritual guidance, some are just on their lunch break and want to see the original BoM. They're OK. Sometimes ultra awkward, like sitting closely to us sisters. Any time there is one or two men, two sisters will take the tour. #5. Visitors from other faiths who have come in out of "coincidence". Golden. Theses are fantastic and make the VC worth it. Even if one of those people accepts missionaries, it's worth the millions of dollars the Church pumps into these special buildings. It's dedicated for missionary work.

3-4 Companion Study, which is tough when your companion is still on a tour.

4-5 sometimes Language Study

4-9 Preachin' the Word! Dinner appointments and people to see. Sorry I am running out of time!! I can write more details about this later.

8:45 All the sisters gather at the VC. We pray together and then give each other a ride home.

9-onward: Planning and getting ready for bed. I am usually giving one of the sisters a back massage. Love that. Sometimes I use all of my "free" nighttime minutes to journal. Or I'll take a really long, hot shower. Or Sis W and I talk.

Missionary life. It's rough, but great.

Love you mucho. I will have a new companion on Thursday. I am sure it will be someone amazing. Thanks for everything!

Hna Adamson

1 comment:

  1. Doug Beck is Heather's father and I got the privilege of going to the Memorial Service held in Utah, where he was buried. Heather mentioned seeing Roo at the funeral. What a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete