Sunday, August 1, 2010

July 27, 2010 "Milagros Up The Wazoo"

Me and Sis Clark


Baptism


Hi Everybody,

With all the changes in dissolving missions and closing down missions, etc. I had an interesting thing happen this transfer. I am now serving at the Winter Quarters Visitors' Center in Nebraska. My new companion's name is Sister Jessica Clark, from Morgan UT. She is fantastic! It's her second transfer, so I am honored to kind of show her the ropes. Too bad she is teaching me stuff, huh? ha ha! We have a great, balanced companionship and we are good buddies. We laugh all the time. She is so funny! OK, so the area change is a lie. I am still in 3rd ward.

Miracles from this week:

We were at the library and I look up to this man who is staring at me. I started a conversation and asked if I could give him a website from our Church to look up. "I'm a member of your Church. Or...I used to be." Suddenly his name popped into my head. I taught him on exchanges my very first transfer, more than a year ago. I have such a strong testimony that the Holy Ghost will "bring all things to your remembrance." We read 2nd Nephi 4 together (thank you, April. I know it is one of your favorites) and he agreed to start meeting with the missionaries again.

Poor R**** who is in-between baptism by water and by fire. We found him at home and started teaching. He is NEVER HOME! We asked him to follow us to the VC where we could watch a video together. He was short on time, but we asked if he wanted a priesthood blessing. Our VC Director needed to be the man for the job, I could feel that. He came and instead of giving a blessing, just talked and then had R**** pray. It was incredible. We were all crying. He is softening a little everyday. I am so happy he came to the VC! The first thing he said when he walked in was "I feel safe in here." We read some verses in the D&C about how Zion is a refuge from the storm.

We hadn't planned any time for lunch and we talked about how the Lord would provide. As we were leaving a lesson, a ward member pulled up and asked if we'd eaten yet. She took us to Taco Bell and we were able to share a message with her and get some idead of friends of hers we could teach. So awesome! This ward is extraordinary.

We get this phone call from this woman who randomly showed up to church about a month ago. She has relatives who are members. She has been sick and busy and so we haven't been able to get a hold of her. Then her phone got turned off. She called the other day while we were on shift. She was terribly upset and vented and vented about how all these trials were breaking her down. She started sobbing. We prayed together over the phone. Seh calmed down and said she wanted us to come over.

Here is my tesimony of contacting referrals within 24 hours: the elders gave us a phone number of a woman who wanted to have missionaries. We kept forgetting to call her! It was the week Sis Wathen was getting ready to go home, etc. Bad us, I know. I have since repented :) By the time we called, she said she moved to Texas. Bummer. I called her again the other day and she started crying! She was having an awful day and needed a kind voice. She too vented about all her troubles. We read some scriptures together and again prayed over the phone. Cute lady. Her wee ones are still in Inde, but she is in Houston. So sad! Anyway, I called again yesterday and she said she is moving back to Independence. Miralce!! So we made an appt. to give her a tour of the Church (something our mission is really pushing right now, that is seeing lots of success).

Another random phone call we got this week was from a man (also in Texas. Funny!) "Hi. I came into the VC a while ago. Sis Wathen took me on tour. I've been reading the BoM and I'm almost finished. She said she would send missionaries to my home and they haven't come yet." Holy cow! Who are these people and where are they coming from?

Our fun friend Bro Cochran took us to lunch at Hi-Boy. I've never seen so many elderly people in overalls in my whole life. Long story short, the miracle here is that his brother walked in whom he never, ever sees. So cool!

This week, I got to take Sister Dimmick from THS on a tour and Rob Merritt's mom and dad. Also Elder Neil A Anderson came into the VC. Sis Clark and I missed him by ten minutes! Can you believe it?

Sis Balois sent me a package with nylons in it. I laughed so hard! It was perfect. The same brand I buy and everything. We keep finding people home who are never there. We met a new investigator who was bringing his flag out from the rain...long story but so great. I found out exactlty my height: 5'5 5/8" What else? Man, it's been such an incredible week. Phenomenal!
Zion. Our PECs are so spiritual. Everyone attends the meeting and each participates and gladly takes and gives assignments. There is so much love in that room. I'm so impressed by the Saints in this area.

Quotes from this week:
"Those brave girls [The Rollins Sisters who ran with the pages of the Book of Commandments] saved the scriptures." -Me

"Probably, the scriptures are what saved them." - Sammy, a seven-year old boy on my tour
"I feel like a new investigator. I've been fellowshipped and already been on a Church tour" - new my companion, Sis Clark

I feel like this will be an amazing transfer. Thanks for your help, everyone. Especially those who wrote recently because last month was super, super difficult for me. Lots of opposition. Good thing Satan is just a whimpy gym class kid and we can whoop him!

Love you all. This is God's work. Have a terrific week! Sorry for typos. Trying to write quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment