Tuesday, August 3, 2010

August 3, 2010 "Life is Good"


My nylon package from Sis Balois (my followup trainer)


Me and my twin, Sister Stanton, from behind are the same person

The cat's in the bag



Hi my people,

I hope you know that I love you. Even when I don't respond to your letters for like 6 months. I promise we are friends! Preparation Days are just hectic every single time! But I appreciate you!

We were late to our shift yesterday because we were inviting someone to be baptized. He said yes! I have faith that he is able to make the necessary changes before he can do so. I love the thrill of inviting people to be a part of this incredible work. The same man brought 2 friends to Church on Sunday. Already a little missionary! I love the Hispanic culture.

Our dear friend Faith (active member) that we have been working with got really mad at us once for inviting her to choose a specific day to quit smoking. She is a hoot! Let me tell you. But when we went this week, she said she had chosen Aug 31st! That way, she can be ready to be temple worthy in a few months. I guess Bishop sat down and talked to her and that helped make a difference. Yay! I can't wait for the Kansas City Temple to be built within the next few years. It's actually been a great tool to use to excite less-active members.

I sang a duet at a big fireside that we had at the VC on Sunday. The mission president was there and everything. I was a bit nervous, but got over it. I sang with my friend, Elder Struthers, who is my Zone Leader. Zone Conference was this week. As always, I had all my deep, soul-searching questions answers and got the recharge I needed. I'm so selfish! No, of course I received some revelation on some things I can do for our investigators, fellow missionaries, etc. I don't have my notes, BUT I do have my notes from Pres. Beck's funeral:

"Certain things can only be learned as we pass through the veil." -his brother
"He lived a life to be admired, but he didn't live that life to be admired." - his daughter, Heather
"One good thing that's good about Doug being gone is that I can tell the stories of our youth and not be contradicted about the details." :) - his life-long friend, KC

"Thanks to those who crossed state or county lines and denominational lines to be here today."
"Because of two gardens, today is a wonderful day: The Garden of Eden where mortal life began and The Garden of Gethsemane where the Savior suffered for us..."
"Indeed, there is a sadness of separation, but not of despair." - his brother

The other day, we had planned to check on a bunch of potentials that previous missionaries had made notes about. We knocked a few of their doors and just felt weird. There was a sense of being watched, almost. It was kind of icky. We drove down the street a little bit and suddenly I recognized a house! I had been on exchanges with Sis Jacobs (the one whose family is friends with Marissa's mom) last year and we had eaten dinner with this family where the Mom had one leg. I remembered how funny they were and that they enjoyed missionary visits. So! We knocked on their door and I pretty much just told them all of that. It was amazing. We had so much fun visiting with them and sharing a message. They have this little puppy named Asia that wears dresses- hi-LAR-ious. I hope we are able to work with them and get them activated again. We discussed the temple and how they missed it. Man. There is so much power in the temple.

We visited again with our "half-baptized" friend. He is a new person since last time we brought him to the VC. We brought Bro Cochran with us (who is a total angel! He went late to work to be our teamup). The Book of Mormon changes people's lives. It has Light and Truth that is beyond any other written word. If you are wondering what one thing you could do to get closer to the Lord, I would strongly encourage reading the Book or Mormon. I was just studying this morning on what some of the "plain and precious truths" are that were not included in the Bible. Wow! There is the neatest article in the October 2006 Ensign by Clyde something that goes into what those truths are, specifically. I have always wondered that! So...go read that article.

A less-active family that is impossible to get a hold of was actually home when we went by the other day. After some lame excuses about not "having time" and the cleanliness of the house, I finally just asked if I could have a glass of water. It's been 100 degrees out, as of late and with humidity, according to the weather people, it "feels like 99 degrees." Gotta luv Mizzurah. AKA Misery. So she agrees to give me water and suddenly we're in the house teaching a lesson! Miracles are happening left and right here.

The elders in our ward called to say that we need to work closer together. They don't have a car, so it's hard for them to make it to their appointments when they are across town. They meet lots of people since they are proselyting all day and they get return appointments, but without a car, it's difficult to make it on time, etc. So we are going to start sharing investigators, basically. I love the idea. We have people who can only meet at night, but if we're on shift, we can't meet with them as often as we would like. So this will work better than anything I have ever done. My whole mission, when I've been in a ward where we share with elders, it's usually a "competition feeling". Bleghk. This, however, feels so right. Zion. One heart, one mind.

Our ward blows me away every time I interact with the members. Several testimonies included a heartfelt invitation to those who are investigating the Church to sincerely pray about the truthfulness of the Restored Gospel. Who does that? We had a couple more referrals this week of friends and family they suggest we begin teaching. So great! One testimony, Bro. S (Dad, he is totally you! I think you'll be pals when we move here. Yes, when not if- haha!) was particularly interesting. The first thing he does when he gets up is tell what happened while he was driving to church. "...and suddenly a little gray car pops out of nowhere in front of me! I was about to start saying some choice words when I saw the little bumper sticker: How's My Driving? It's the missionaries! And there's little Sister Adamson, waving at me." Thanks, Brother S. Make me look like a maniac driver. He made it sound like he had to slam on his brakes or something. And the mission president happened to be attending our sacrament meeting. He hasn't been to 3rd ward for probably a year! Perfect. I was imagining him calling me up "Sister Adamson, your driving privileges have been revoked. And your companion hasn't passed off her lessons, so she can't drive either. Looks like you'll be walking for the next 5 weeks. God's blessings be with you..." That would kill me! Then Bro S. continued his testimony. He teared up and said "Thank you for reminding me to slow down. Some of us are born rebellious and just need little gentle reminders. Thanks for keeping me and my family safe today." Then he spoke on how obedience brings such great blessings. Afterward, he talked to Pres VK and said I was a good driver and not to get me in trouble. Awww.

We got dropped this week by an investigator. I called her up to get an appointment and she said, "Don't take it personally, but we only liked you coming over because we loved Sister Wathen." Never gotten a drop like that before! We had a good laugh for the next few days. I only met her once, so I wasn't offended or anything. So funny!

A darling member who fed us this week dropped up a Thanksgiving MEAL at the VC. I think she must have thought she needed to feed all the sisters in the mission! There was a giant casserole, enough mashed potatoes to never go hungry again, beef, salad, and a gigantic marshmallow-y desert. It took us (and 4 other sets of sisters) almost three whole days to eat it. I love it here!

There ya go. That's my life history. I have much more energy these days and we are witnessing the Lord's hand in everything we do. I appreciate my cute new companion. Of course, I miss Sister Wathen too. Thanks for all our love and letters and emails. Love you much. Thanks for supporting me in this, the hardest thing I have ever, ever done. Saving souls. Hope you all have wonderful, spiritual experiences this week. Find ways to lift others and you will see that you are lifted as well.

Hermana Roo

No comments:

Post a Comment