Tuesday, August 31, 2010

August 17, 2010 "A Bloody Nose, Jedi Masters, and Goolash"

Kansas City gangstas (Our District Leader and his companion)

Liberty Jail pictures





Hi Everyone,

Yes. It was quite an exciting week!

Our Holy Ghostless half-convert was confirmed on Sunday. Surprise! Eight weeks later. We're still not sure if Bishop can do that. But he tends to do things like that a lot. I love him!

At early morning sports, we had some thugs show up. Some real gangtas. We thought it would turn into trouble. Then we realized it was the district leader and his companion from Riverview. Hopefully I can attach the pics. One had a MAP of Kansas City on the back of his t-shirt! Ridiculous. So funny!

Our Investigator, J. is still getting baptized on Saturday. We brought a really good teamup last time who speaks Spanish and bore the most beautiful testimony about the Plan of Salvation. Spanish is my new favorite language.

While on exchanges in Inde 2nd ward, we taught a lady named S. We had invited them to be baptized and they totally denied. They said every missionary of every church they meet always says that, as if they just are looking to get their numbers up. Basically, it opened a big box. So that was that. The lady moved (no forwarding address, no phone) and then I saw her at the library (maybe I wrote about that). Huge miracle! I found out she now lives in Riverview boundaries and got her info. So it happened to be that the missionary from 2nd ward got transferred to Riverview! Perfect! They've been teaching her and last night, they took her on a Church tour and invited her to be baptized again. She said once she knows it's true, she will! I can't wait to attend that service. She has been taking such big steps. Everything she believes in her heart is "Mormon Doctrine". Woohoo!

We had a very hilarious dinner fiasco. In the ward, there is a Sister Williams. We were headed to her house for dinner. We let her know around 3:30 that we might need a ride, but we'd call if we did. About 4, I handed the phone to my companion and said to call and get a ride for 6:00pm. Voicemail: "Hi Sister Williams. This is Sister Clark. We will need a ride to dinner tonight at 6:00. Thanks". She calls back and is way, way confused. "I wish I could have had more time in advance. I didn't even know I was feeding you, etc. 6:30 will work, though. Meet you at the VC." So we're in an appointment and 6:20 rolls around and we get a call from Sister Williams, "Where are you? Did you need a ride?" Oh, geez. So we get to the VC and there is ANOTHER Williams from another ward. Here to pick up ANOTHER Sis Clark. Oh man. But it was for us. What a mess! My darling companion felt so bad, but we just laughed it off. It reminded me of that story of Elder Wirthlin's from his "come what may" talk where the daughter thinks it's her blind date, but he's the dad to pick her up for babysitting. You gotta just laugh in this world or you'll get too stressed out.

Yesterday, we had like 20 more mins until we had to be at the VC. Appts. bailed and all our backups weren't home. We saw a little lady at a picnic table and stopped to talk to her. Turns out, she was kicked out of the home she was living in because she didn't want to put up with all the alcoholics who lived there. She was still not in a good environment and sometimes goes out to that table to relax and read her Bible. Well! Here's a Book of Mormon! She teared up and said it was Mormon missionaries who had first started her journey back to God. "I needed you today." Man, I love this work! She agreed to come to Church and accepted the Book of Mormon readily. She started reading it as we were driving away. It was really great! I love being able to answer someone's prayer.

On a more silly note, for morning exercises we ran through the sprinklers. I love Sister Clark! She's just like me! 2 Jedi Masters came into the VC about 8PM the other night (braids in their hair and everything). We always say a closing prayer to end the night when we close at 9, so they joined us! So cool. Ate some fried pickles this week and found out what goolash is. Yum? Well, pickles yum.

Oh my goodness! I almost forgot. We went to Liberty Jail again with some recent converts in the ward. Again, I was overwhelmed by the Sweet Spirit of that place. I love serving here. And I love learning more about Joseph Smith. He is incredible.

On Sunday, in the middle of Sacrament, Sister Clark gets a bloody nose. We run out of the room toward the bathroom. Can I just add here that it literally was the middle of sacrament. We had just taken the bread and were waiting for the water. I help her get some tissue paper and then dart into the hall to get some help. I've never had one before. What am I supposed to do? MY good friend Asch-Lee and her daughter were in the hall. Help! Of course, it turns out Asch-Lee has suffered from bloody noses for years. She knows just what to do and keeps little homeopathic pills that make your blood clot... in her purse. Thanks, Heavenly Father! And it was so cute. After that, three more ladies from the ward came in to help Sister Clark. I awkwardly just stood there, trying not to throw up. I hate blood. But then the 3-yr old needed someone to keep her entertained. We went into the hallway, keeping the door open and we got to color! Best day of my mission! I miss coloring books [interjection: April, I love love loved that Arthur one you sent me!]. So one of the assistants walks down the hall and goes (instead of "where's your companion? or where is her mother?") "I want to color, too!" Like I said, best day ever. Yes, Sis Clark is fine. No doctor needed. Oh yeah! And we were supposed to do the special musical number during the meeting. Sah-ree!

Last Wednesday, the mission secretary called me to see which airport I was planning to fly home to. I about threw up. I want to be a missionary forever! You can't make me come home. I actually am enjoying this now.

We found a new family this week. And a super anti-Mormon lady who helped increase my testimony in the prophet, President Monson.

I'm out of time. Sorry. Lots more to say, but it's gonna kick me off. Love you. This Gospel is true. Bye!

-Hna Roo

No comments:

Post a Comment