Wednesday, July 15, 2009

July 15, 2009

Hello my dear people from the hot and humid lands of Missouri.

The plane was so small! 16 missionaries took up about a fourth of the plane. I was very lucky not to be sitting next to a missionary. I sat next to a man who was on business. His family is from SLC. He didn't serve a mission, but his brothers did. I tried my best to discuss it with him and invite him back. I told him about how amazing the Visitor's Center is and encouraged him to stop by if he had time between meetings.

Pres. and Sis Van Komen are the nicest people in the world! All the other missionaries piled into a giant van and sis Card and I jumped in President's car. He is a kind, softy-spoken man with not much to say. Sis VK is super cute and was eager to tell us all about our new city and what's happening where. They showed us where the new "greater Kansas City Area" temple is going to be. It's right off the freeway. Pres Uchtdorf came to dedicate the land, but they haven't started anything yet. No one knows when that will start. Hopefully soon!

My new companion ("mom") is sister Michelle Moody, from CA. She is like five feet tall! So darling! She is really into sports and is excited that I want to run with her every morning. For those of you who know Missy Lee from Timpanogos, she looks just like her! It's weird. We get along really well. She is one of the VC leaders and so she keeps every rule to a T in order to set a good example. I LOVE IT. She is the perfect trainer for me: willing to explain the little acronyms and all. So fun!

The VC sisters (there are I think 18 of us) live in houses. There are, I think 3 sets of sisters in our house. The house is split up into separate apts, so we never see them. We have brand new Pontiac Vibes to drive. So great!

Oh my goodness! So much to say! OK, so the VC- It's the best place ever! We take turns doing tours and sit upstairs, waiting for guests to come. Every day is different for our shift. We're either morning from 9-3pm or evening from 3-9pm. We only know about a week in advance where we are going to be, so I probs won't be able to work it out to be there when people (like from the ward) come to visit. ??

My second day, I had to give a tour! It's PURE CHAOS here! Busloads come in unexpectedly by the hundreds! My 1st tour had 14 people in it: members on a church history trip. I was able to answer all their questions. Thank goodness for VC training at the MTC, where they prepped us. My third day, I was the only person available (again) when 2 skanky-looking girls came in, high school-aged/college. Hmm, looks like the greenie gets to take nonmembers on a tour! It was fantastic! One was an "inactive" Community of Christ member (which is RLDS. They changed their name a few yrs ago) adn the other was a history major, interested in only the history part of the tour. Yikes! At one point in the tour, there's an opportunity to tell the story about the Rollins girls who saved the pages of the Book of Commandments (later D&C) from the mob. I took a moment there to talk about the importance of scripture and bore a quick testimony about the BoM and the bible. I wasn't even scared! This mantle of a missionary...this responsibility I have been given is really incredible. The girls were really cute, not interested in learning more, but I was just grateful they had someone who wasn't stuck in "tour guide" mode (some of the sisters here say the same thing every single time! It's kinda lame). They had a fun experience and were able to feel a portion of the Holy Ghost, which is the whole point. Yay!

We have 4 people who are committed to baptism! they're all teenagers. I met one, Misty, on my first day. She's cute. We taught her about the Word of Wisdom and committed her to live it. I always imagined missionary work being this awkward thing where you force people to do things they don't want to do, but with Misty, she's just like "Oh, I've always felt that way. I've seen people do that and they're not happy". she is so great. She's come to church a few times.

Our area (ward) is huge. So when we have appointments in a section which is far away, and they're not home, we just knock doors. It's getting easier. I never had to "do it by myself" or anything because it's just natural the way S Moody and I switch off. Can I just tell you I have the best mission call ever? OK, good. Because I do.

When people aren't interested or they say something like "I'm a catholic and you're not going to change that." We're just like "Pk, great! Have you ever been too the LDS Visitor's Center? You have? Well, we've got this powerful exhibit right now called Reflections of Christ. It's a photography exhibit that's free and is open every day, all day. Here's a pamphlet!" They soften right up and they're like "It's free? I'm going to take my kids!" Ho-ly smokes. We're just reelin' 'em in left and right. We hand those pamphlets out like candy. It's such a nonthreatening thing. We can also tell them about the free movies we show. Bada-bing! Baptisms in week. JK, but it's perfect.

The sisters here are so awesome! Most of them are excited about sports and aren't lame or really old or anything. I get along with all of them. I see S Card and her companion all the days. And I see S Sasaki frequently as well. And because S Moody is in a leadership position (it's like a female zone leader), she is in mtgs all day. I don't see her much while we're serving in the VC. So it's like I have 8 other companions. Ha ha! I've given a bajillion tours already. I really DO NOT want to turn into a robot by the end. I try to share a different scripture or a different interesting fact about the pioneers on each one. Every single time, we are to ask for referrals of people who may need the Gospel in their lives (Ok, we all "need" it, but only some are ready). I already have 3 people to call! I'm so nervous. But I've been "called to declare His word among His people, that they might have everlasting life" (3 Ne 5:13). I can do this!

I had a rougher day yesterday than most. I had to sleep at another house since S Moody needed to have a bunch of mtgs and other things were going on. I didn't get breakfast, I forgot my nametag, and I was companionless. A bunch of other stuff happened and I was like lifeless. But S Card cheered me up!! Luckily, we were on shift together at the VC.

Anyway, I love it here. Independence is a charming little town. the people are just waiting to hear more about Jesus Christ and I'm here to do it! I can only do it because He is on my side. Keep up your good examples to your friends and neighbors at home. I love you all and look up to you. Thanks for everything.

Luff,

Sis Roo

No comments:

Post a Comment