Monday, September 28, 2009

September 28, 2009 -Alma 32

20 Lessons!

Me and "Pider-ma" (he was free at a garage sale!)


Bro Jeffrey, the man who helps at the VC. We saw him at church all pimped up, so I had to get a photo. He is amazing. He's super funny!


Iguana Lady!! I love Missouri!

"Why'd you get sent home?" (our favorite pasttime, thinking of funny ways you'd get sent home) "I told the President I was sick of being frumpy" -My companion Sister Moody


That's SISTER Cruella Deville to you!

I feel like a totally different person. This was an incredible week. I think I've grown a lot. I don't have much time, so I will copy/paste parts I had written to president.

It's been quite the week of ups and downs. One of the sisters, who is from Argentina, had a brother who died (self-inflicted). She was already having a really really hard time because she feels trapped in the VC. She has been out full proselyting and misses how missionary work goes out there in the real world. the VC is a TOTALLY different thing. It has very different challenges. She's been so mad all transfer, like "How dare Pres VK put me here, when he knows I hate it". And then the Lord throws a curve ball to show her why she needed to be here.

The night she found out, she had sisters to hug. She had shoulders to cry on. She had a family. She had dear, sweet senior missionaries who were her temporary father and mother. When she left, we all gathered at the Christus and sang hymns. The Spirit there was way beyond words. I think there is so much power in having so many righteous sisters in one place. We all fasted for her family. We've been doing our best to make her feel loved and supported. She's doing really well. She's staying busy.

As far as ups go, we hit our goal of 20 lessons! We had nine new investigators! We saw miracle after miracle when we really involved the Lord more in our goals. We had a district meeting this week where Elder Lamprecht invited us to challenge 5 people to baptism. That is something I have yet to do/see. It was good for both Sis Moody and I to remember that baptism is central to our purpose. We haven't been challenging people. I don't know what we were waiting for. Lame, I know. And here I am, brand new, like "Uhhh, is this what we're supposed to be doing?"

I passed off my "Preach My Gospel" lessons and feel more confident in our appointments. AND I can drive! Today is my first day. I'm grateful to have been able to focus on just that--the doctrine in PMG. I know it will help me as I try to become the missionary God would have me be.

I'll leave you with some miracle stories. We were on team ups with a young woman in our ward. The person we had planned to visit no longer lived at the house. We talked with the children who were playing outside across the street. The mother and grandmother were very, very welcoming. They invited us in and asked if THEY could come to church with us. They don't have a set religion and have been looking for a church that is family-oriented and has a Sunday school for children. Thank you, inspired prophets, for the Primary Program! The grandmother had read parts of the Book or Mormon in the past and has LDS friends. We gave them a fresh new copy. I can't wait to see what unfolds.

Last night, we visited this less active that we just love. Sis Moody is pretty sure she's gonna be transferred (we find out tomorrow night), so we've been visiting people she will miss. This lady finally, finally opened up to us. She told us about how when she was growing up in the RLDS church, she had some amazing spiritual experiences that molded her into who she is now. When she had Mormon missionaries show up, she felt like she'd been lied to all her life. Like she had been jaded. And so now, she has a hard time opening up her heart. she's so afraid it will get stepped on. Last Sunday, she said she got all dressed for church (for the first time in 20 years!!), got in the car, but sat there with white knuckles on the steering wheel. Poor lady! She just gets bad anxiety. Any suggestions? We're gonna get her home teacher over there, right away to give her a blessing. then she said she would come to Gen Conf at the stake center, as long as we were there. Anyway, we left from that lesson just feeling very loved. Very needed. I had no idea that was why she didn't go to church. Who knew? :) Oh, wait, the Lord. That's why he sent us over last night.

Anyway, the work is picking up. I'm doing well. I'll probs have a new companion next week. I hope I get to stay in the Inde 4th ward. I love them.

Have a great week! Thanks for all you do.

Sister Adamson

ps And also we met this man this week that is a Restorationist. The lesson went well. We read from the BoM. Then he started attacking us about polygamy and stuff. We bore simple testimony and left the house. Then on the porch, he goes "And I've met and talked to one of the three Nephites. I swear on my life."

Oh. My. Word. Who is this man? Sister Moody goes, under her breath "Cherry on top." It was ridiculous. The Spirit that we had worked so hard to invite was smashed in about 2 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment