Friday, September 11, 2009

September 9, 2009

Donuts at the Laundromat with one of the senior couples: The Hallows from Heber City

Birthday flowers for one of the sisters. Sis Moody took this one

"Welcome to the Independence Visitors' Center. How can I help you?"


Our preparation day was on Labor Day, which means the library was closed. So here I am emailing today. We're in a hurry, so it might be short. But know that I love you all!

We met lots of new investigators this week, mostly while we were on exchanges. There is something about the idea that "This is someone else's area. I won't see these people again" that allows you to be more bold.

I'll just tell you about one. We talked with this young woman who was out jogging. She seemed really excited to go to church and wanted us to come over. But the more we talked to her, the more apparent it was that she is mentally handicapped. She told us all about her neighbors and how nice they were. She suggested we visit this one house. We're always looking for referral, so...OK. The mother was really short at first (might I add it was 8pm and completely dark). We figured we would invite her to the photography exhibit at the VC and leave. She softened up and we were able to discuss scripture with her. She told us about a tornado they survived (No, I haven't seen any since I've been here. For some reason, people keep asking me that), and I was reminded of Helaman 5:12 that talks about how Christ is our foundation and the devil's whirlwinds can't stop us. The Spirit told me to ask if we could go inside since it was so dark. She let us in! Usually, we just do lessons on people's porch's since they are often uncomfortable letting total strangers into their homes. Here's where I want to say that "Planting seeds" is huge! You ARE making a difference.

They already have 2 copies of the Book of Mormon. One from a garage sale she picked up and one copy from a friend at school who is a member. then seed #3 is an invitation to an art exhibit. They're a great family. I'm excited to work with them. We have an appointment this week.

Sat, we stopped by one of our part member families. Husband=LDS, wife=Catholic. He wants to get back to church really bad, but she is iffy about the whole thing. She has really warmed up to us lately, so that has been neat. Only the husband was home. We committed him to fast that he could get off work in time to make it to church at 2pm. Man, I must have no faith. I don't know why Heavenly Father keeps blessing me...

He came to church!! First time in years! We were so pumped. And then...one of our other investigators showed up out of the blue. We invite her every week and she's always like "yeah, yeah. I know where the building is. 2 o clock. OK" But she came!! It was fast and testimony mtg and she loved it. We all just need to hear other's testimonies sometimes. We are here to strengthen each other.

Also our ward has suddenly been super supportive in coming out on our appointments. We have team-ups for every day this week. I know the work will be so much more effective when we use this ward more. They're so great. My attitude has totally changed and I hope I don't get transferred because I love the Inde 4th ward.

AND we're having an all mission conference in October where Elder Russel M Nelson will be our speaker. I love serving in Zion!

And my favorite family that I talk about all the time (the one I gave the shoes to) finally went to the Addiction Recovery Class! Baptism, here we come. She picked a date on Sunday, the mom.

Zone conference. It was good, but not as good as last time. I don't think any will be as good as my first one. They talked about service and obedience and how to have a closer companionship. I ate three bagels. And we watched a video clip from the news where Pres Van Komen went to a little island in Peru to do humanitarian work. He's a doctor PS. It made me miss Central America. I want to go back to Guatemala!

Not sure what else to say. When you're on the winning team, you have nothing to fear.

Sis Adamson

No comments:

Post a Comment