Thursday, October 14, 2010

October 12, 2010 "Liquor Store Lesson and a Sealing For Time and All Eternity

I wish my heart could work with my fingers somehow to help you feel how I feel right now. I love being a missionary! I love being a daughter of God. I love the temple. I love my area and my companion. I'm healthy, happy and plan to sprint to the end (thanks, Todd).

V*** that I taught last Summer in Independence went to the St Louis temple on Saturday to be sealed to her husband. It was my second sealing (Yay, Rachel and Rick!), but this time it was a "white wedding". The air was light. I felt so cleansed and holy. I have missed the temple more than anything else on my mission. The promised blessings, the purity, the closeness to the Lord. I could go on and on...

But I am sure you want to hear about the Liquor Store Lesson. When we told this at our district meeting as our "Miracle Moment", I started off (with my arms out and wide eyes) "thar we was. It was 9:00 at night..." We dorve past this man walking down the street. He looked up when we drove past and I said, "Did you feel that guy's piercing stare?" Sis Nelson said "Yeah, there's something different about him. I wish we had time to talk to him." We kept driving, knowing we had to be at our apartment in the next few minutes. We drove up and parked. I couldn't turn the car off. Something inside of me was screaming to go talk to him. I made an executive decision and we drove back. He had turned a corner by the time we got back to that street, but we found him! We grabbed a pamphlet about the Plan of Salvation and started running! So awkward. Missionary work is so awkward. But as you all know, I thrive off of that, so it was a hoot! Poor Sis Nelson said later her heart was pounding the whole time! I love her. She's a good sidekick and partner in crime. So back to J***. He's in his mid-twenties, wearing a tye-dyed t-shirt and caution tape off the ground wrapped around his chest. He's got curly hair and a bright smile. To make a long story short, he was happy to talk to us. Athiest, born and bred in Liberty area, but moving to Quincy, Illinois soon (hmm, we filled him in on the historical significance of both areas to Latter-Day Saints). He goes, "Can you wait a second while I go to the bathroom and buy some cigars and liquor?" I laughed and said, "No. Are you really going to buy stuff that will destroy your body? We'll wait while you use the restroom." he was surprised at my frank response, but he took it. He was back soon and joined us outside the store. We sat on the stools outside and he sat on top of the garbage can right there. In Lotus position. We prayed. We taught. HE prayed!! HE taught. It was amazing. We left him with the pamphlet and invited him to the jail. I feel there is something so special about J***. I can't wait to see the end of the story. He's such a fascinating kid.

Other highlights of the week:

We got 2 free pies from Perkins (it's kind of like Marie Callendars out here) and 2 free meals
We took some incredible church tours this week. the Spirit was incredibly strong. The one that stands out is the one we took with our investigator, D***. He's a 20 yr old punk-rocker kid with some piercings and a heart of pure gold. Just a sweetheart. I appreciate him so much. When we started the tour, I asked how he felt being in the building. His eyes got red and he whispered "holy". We talked to him about baptism. He doesn't feel people will accept him at church. We and our perfect little teamup tried to reassure him that everyone would love him.

General Conference was da best.

I had exchanges with Sis Sasaki and we saw so many miracles! I also had exchanges with my baby, Sister Howe. Man, she has grown. We had to teach the law of chastity to some investigators who are breaking it and she didn't even hesitate. Love her!!

We still have about 4 baptisms coming up of part member families.

Ahh! Out of time. Love you much.

hna roo

PS I only have like 5 more p days. Weird, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment