Thursday, October 21, 2010

October 21, 2010 "In With the Good, Out With the Bad"

I am Lyman Wight's twin. Who knew? Too bad we're not related ;)

Me and a little Cow Mama

My companion KISSING the Cow Mama

Me studying. I'm grateful it's getting slower these days, so I can actually get my personal study in. UEA about killed me with all those Utah kids off school. Then it was the Spud Harvest, so the Idaho-ians came in. Then Arizona...

My new companion's name is Sis Cassie Power. She's a little beach babe.

Gotta love those senior couples, reading the dictionary...on the ground?!

My darling new scripture case made by Bishop's wife. She even sold one to Hilary Weeks. (Mine is way cuter). They're made of ribbons.

Playing pictionary with kids.

Me and "Sister Bunny." She just jumped into my arms. ???

Ahh, the life of a missionary. Six Hundred missed calls from our District Leader and our Zone Leaders. Kill-joy. It's a good thing we are friends or this would reeeeeeeeally bug me.



This is the first of several emails, which will forever be a part of my "last transfer" memories. And now that I wrote that, I want to throw up. Yesterday, we saw a jet making one of those long white marks across the sky and my companion goes, "Do you know how far away that plane is?" I'm thinking hundreds of feet, miles, I dunno. Then she has the guts to say, "It's only five weeks away." I about decked her in the face. I have to come to face with this dilemma. There is life after the mission. As I make my transition to a full-time finder/ member missionary, please please be patient with me. I still have been saying "Over a year" when people ask how long I've been out. I hate that question. Enough of that.

New companion! She and I are "sisters", meaning we had the same trainer. She "killed" Sis Moody last Christmas. Survey time:

1. Where you're from: Valencia, CA

1 1/2. name: Cassie Power

2. Something unique about you: I'm left-handed, I beat box [ :D ha ha ] I have an argyle fetish

3. Something you love about being a misisonary: the outfits [said sarcastically]. "Zion" (the free clothes sisters leave behind). The fact that there is a random stain on this skirt that I found in the basement this morning. Great, Are you typing everything I'm saying? I sound like such an unsanitary mess. That's why I carry around this Ka-Boom pen. Done.

4. Best thing about killing a companion: They write you more than they write any of their other companions when they get home.

5. Anything else my fam and friends should know about you: I'm from CA and living with five Utahns [said with no smile].

She is hilarious. and I love her!! We are already great pals and have fun things in common. When missionaries leave a message, it will play our recorded name, which is "Sister Power" (sang to the tune of the Primary song "Scripture Power") and "Adam-son-di-Ahman" (sung to the tune of that hymn). It's the best!

Miracles of this week:

There is a part-member family we have been trying so hard to get a hold of. The mom drives school buses and is impossible to catch home in the day. Because of that, she sleeps as soon as she gets home (I think elementary school kids would exhaust me too). We taught her husband outside once who is not a member of the Church. It went pretty well, but nothing since. Yesterday, we stopped by after a short, but super powerful lesson with our investigator D**. She AND her son were home. He never has been interested in the lessons much, but we promised to bring a game next time and his ears perked up. He's like jr. high aged. I have a feeling Sis Power will be exactly what he needs. She is very genuine and un-robotesque. She gets right down to a teen's level and is honest with them. I appreciate the way she teaches so much. We're on the same page. It makes the work so much easier when you're not stressing about your companion and you can really tune into the Spirit. We had another bomb-rockin' lesson yesterday with a potential the sisters kept trying over and over. Again, never home except yesterday when we tried. Can I just take a second and testify that Heavenly Father is definitely in charge of this work? He loves his children so much and will place us in exactly the right spot when we are needed. This woman has a copy of the Book of Mormon already and actually knows where it is on her bookshelf. She told us she is a relative of David Whitmer. Her ancestor actually got to flip through the pages of the golden plates! I figure he will probably appear to her in a dream and tell her the Book of Mormon is true. She promised to read and pray about it. We read his testimony with her and she seemed impressed. She is a very elect woman, I can already tell. She has such a wonderful spirit and friendly personality.

We got semi-lost, now that I am in charge instead of Sis Nelson who has the memory of an Apostle. We turned into the local Elem. School to make a U-turn and I recognized the woman that walked past us. She helped me figure out my "colors" in Independence. I can't remember her name, but we'll just call her Mark Kay lady. I remembered her saying, when I met her a few months ago, that she lived in Liberty. So...we may or may not have creepily stalked her and maybe we just happened to write down her address. She "just happens" to live in our ward boundaries and we "just happened" to see her that day? No coincidences.

A member in our ward told us her conversion story. Pretty much Heavenly Father told her to move to the Kansas City area, so she did. She packed up her kids and left her abusive husband behind. One day, they were looking for something fun to do and saw the Jail. "What do Mormons have to do with this jail?" Out of spite, just to prove we are a cult basically, they went on a tour. She felt the Spirit strongly and filled out a card, agreeing to meet with missionaries. Soon after, she and her family were baptized. Isn't that incredible. I feel like our investigator T** will be the same. He didn't make it to church this week, but he plans to next week.

There are 3 Spanish men we are teaching, so the Lord is keeping me on my feet. We've got some great people in the ward who speak Spanish and are willing to come with us to appointments. Tomorrow, we're taking R** to the jail to watch a movie.

It was Preach My Gospel's birthday on October 15th, so we celebrated. Life is Good. I'm happy. My companion is fabulous. The area is on fire. And...the Church is true.

Thanks for helpin' me get through this. Full-time missions are not easy at all. I'm always so grateful for your encouragement.

Hasta Pasta,
Hna Adamson :)

No comments:

Post a Comment